The Spresense microcontroller board is developed and manufactured by Sony Semiconductor Solutions Corporation which is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Group Corporation.
Sony Semiconductor Solutions is a world leader in semiconductor component development in areas such as image sensors, microdisplays, cellular modems, GPS components, and laser diodes.
About Sony’s Spresense Microcontroller Board
The Spresense microcontroller board from Sony is a unique combination of extensive computing ability with a power consumption low enough to run on battery.
Despite the compact footprint, it’s powered by a high performance 6-core microcontroller with a clock speed of 156 MHz.
The board is ideal for edge computing use cases where there is a need for processing data such as FFT algorithms, machine learning, image processing and real-time sensor analysis. Spresense features hi-res audio inputs and outputs, integrated GPS, camera interface and can be optionally equipped with additional hardware for sensor input and connectivity depending on use case.
- 156 MHz hexacore microcontroller — Sony’s CXD5602 (ARM® Cortex®-M4F × 6 cores)
- Power efficient —Battery friendly through advanced power management
- Integrated GPS — Support for GPS, QZSS and GLONASS
- Hi-res audio output* ** — 192kHz/24bit audio codec and class D amplifier
- Camera interface — Dedicated 8-bit parallel interface
- Multiple mic inputs — 4 analog/8 digital microphone inputs at 192kHz/24bit* — 2 analog/4 digital microphone inputs at 192kHz/24bit**
- LTE connectivity** — LTE Cat-M1, NB-IoT
*through the Spresense extension board
**through the Spresense LTE extension board
Spresense LTE Extension Board
The Spresense LTE extension board adds LTE connectivity to the Spresense main board and carries an on-board antenna and a nanoSIM card holder. It also extends the interfaces of the Spresense main board with multiple mic inputs, headphone jack and microSD card slot.
The Spresense main board and the Spresense LTE extension board are connected by a board-to-board connector.